California workers are assured a reasonable amount of privacy in the workplace. When a worker is asked by an employer to reveal private information, for example through a drug test, a workplace search, or monitoring an employee’s computer, certain rules apply.
Check these fact sheets, guides, and resources for information about your rights and steps you can take to protect them. If you need further information or assistance, contact the Workers’ Rights Clinic.
Fact Sheets and Other Self-Help Tools
- Privacy in the Workplace printer-friendly version
- Credit Reports and Background Checks printer-friendly version
- Personnel Files printer-friendly version
- Criminal Records and Employment printer-friendly version
- Hiring a Labor or Employment Lawyer printer-friendly version